Saturday, September 3, 2011

MORRO CREEK LAGOON

Morro Creek Lagoon, Morro Bay. Weather, cool, and cloudy, just perfect for birding. The photo was taken from a parking area above and to the south of the Lagoon. If this was a panoramic photo, Morro Rock would be on the left. On its way to the sea the Creek forms a couple of wide, yet shallow pools that provide bountiful habitat for a variety of shorebirds.

Fortune shined, and the birds were most cooperative. In and around the Lagoon were about 200 Red-necked Phalarope (spinning and probing), two Wilson's Phalarope, one Dowitcher (short or long-billed - hard to determine), several Killdeer, Semipalmated Plover, Western Sandpiper, and the shorebird I was hoping to see, the Pectoral Sandpiper.

It's not like I have not seen the Pectoral before; I just wanted to get a really good look at the little darling. Well, actually, it is not that little. It is a couple of inches larger that a Western Sandpiper, and it is usually (anyway when I have seen it) apart from the other sandpipers. I was focusing on a little cluster of Western when the Pectoral strode out of the reeds. Yes!!

As I neared my car, I noticed, perched atop a tall shrub on the bank of the creek, a Cooper's Hawk. Directly below him were four young house finch that were waiting for their parents to feed them. I have a feeling the hawk was thinking about breakfast.





No comments:

Post a Comment