Thursday, March 31, 2022

Birding the Swine Ponds

Cal Poly - Sunday Morning before a greatly anticipated rain storm - Thanks to a friend who had given me a detailed map, I finally found the swine ponds.  Coots were feeding in the thick slim that had coagulated around the edge of the pond.  There was an odor, but it was not bad.  A lone male Mallard was perched at the end of a pipe that drains fluids from the pens.  For several weeks a Common Gallinule aka Common Moorhen had been seen at this location.  I figured I had a 50/50 chance of seeing it, and the chances were iffy, as Moorhens have a tendency to be secretive.  I would either see it or I would not see it.

Moorhens have a rather vivid red head shield and a pointy bill tip that reminds me of candy corn.  I walked along the edge of the berm, eventually finding a good view of the reeds. A few drops had begun to fall when the infrequent visitor emerged from the reeds giving me a brief but splendid view.  Yeah!  The Common Moorhen is a member of the rail family.  It is found in aquatic environment's, often nesting in reeds.  The female lays from 2-12 eggs; both parents incubate the eggs.  A group of Moorhens is known as a, "plump."
The other pond was low on water.  There were a few Coots and Mallards and a pair of Killdeer.  Red-winged Blackbirds cheerfully sang from a nearby willow.  Overhead Turkey Vulture soared.  
Last sighting for the day was a motionless Cal Poly bovine.  There are two types of cows,*  "Zebu," humped cows from Eastern Asia and cows without humps, from Western Eurasia.  Perhaps the bovine of the day was related to the Zebu as it had a fatty hump and a "dewlap," the flesh that hangs below the neck.
In the same paddock another Zebu like bovine.  I am becoming quite fond of cows.

* Definition of "Cow." - a domestic bovine animal regardless of sex or age

















 

No comments:

Post a Comment