Thursday, June 20, 2013

BIRDING ISLAY CREEK

Islay Creek in Montana de Oro State Park (above and below) is a haven for nesting song birds; the creek flows through a canyon dense with willows and riparian vegetation, so dense that the creek cannot be seen unless you are standing on its moist bank.  Last weekend I meandered along the Reservoir Flats Trail until I found the path that went down to the creek.  To say the bird songs were intense is an understatement.  Boldly singing were Swainson's Thrush, Song Sparrow, Wilson's Warbler, Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Common Yellowthroat, Northern Flicker, Wrentit, and California Quail.
I have to admit, I do have a favorite songster, the Swainson's Thrush, whose song is an upward series of musical, whistling notes.  On the following minute YouTube Swainson's Thrush comes through loud and clear.    http://youtu.be/XjqbeKTe6G8

I was in high hopes of including a "Reservoir Flats Trail" video, but its extreme length at 1.38 min. is causing me to do more tweaking.  Will include it in the next posting. 

 






1 comment: