Wednesday, December 5, 2012

BIRDING SEA PINES GOLF COURSE

While on my walk this morning I heard a flock of Canada Geese heading south in the direction of Sea Pines Golf Course.  Suddenly I remembered a Greater White-fronted Goose (photo left) and a Cackling Goose (photo right) had been seen in the vicinity of the ponds at the Sea Pines Golf Course. Hurried home - five minutes later was peering through the chain link fence at a large flock of American Coot plus two charming geese.  The geese fed in close proximity to one another; perhaps an example of cross species friendship.

In spite of the very grey morning I saw 40 species - Thousands of ducks and shorebirds.  In various pines were Red-breasted Nuthatch, Chickadee, and Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Favorite sighting of the morning was of two local photographers with their tripods and humongous cameras waiting for the Peregrine Falcon that sometimes perches in the dead cypress near the Baywood Pier.  They were not having any luck; as I continued on I spotted the Peregrine in a nearby Pine, clearly visible to the men with cameras.  I do think this Peregrine is a tease.
   
https://www.youtube.com/edit?ns=1&o=U&video_id=j2alkP3MCLo 

No comments:

Post a Comment