Saturday, February 3, 2018

Where are the Dabbling Ducks?

Thursday morning at 10:00 the tide was very high (6.5).  At the Sweet Springs Preserve the extreme tide covered nearly all the pickleweed, filled in the channels and the ponds, with the exception of the tiny wetland where the springs bubbles forth. 
Usually coming into Sweet Spring on the incoming tide, dabbling ducks such as Northern Pintail, Northern Shoveler, American Wigeon, Green and Blue-winged Teal (above) and Cinnamon Teal adapt their dabbling to finding tasty morsels in the flooded pickleweed.
For comparison, the above photo shows the flooded pickleweed at an average tide.” 

As I entered the preserve two female deer were feeding in the new grass growing along the edge of the boardwalk.  Both of the deer alerted to my presence.  In a few moments they disappeared into the brush. 
Coots were feeding in the grass.  I guess they wanted a change from the Sea Pines Golf Course where they usually hang out.  What I did not see were dabbling ducks.
Searching the pond I noticed a mixed flock of about 20 Teal, sound asleep on the edges of the wetland.  Perhaps they were exhausted from their flight to Morro Bay.  Usually ducks notice a close human presence.  These little darling did not even blink.

Scanning the far side of the flooded pickleweed I spotted a few more Teal,  but where was the bounty of dabblers I had been expecting?  For several years I've noticed that fewer water fowl are wintering in Morro Bay.

From the photo, taken at Sweet Springs in January 2007, there is no doubt in my mind that fewer ducks are wintering in Morro Bay.     Can you find the Eurasian Wigeon?
  I am hoping that the missing dabblers are busy feeding in another area of the bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment