Monday, August 14, 2017

Birding Santa Rosa Creek and More

I'll begin with, "More."  I have never seen a Greater Roadrunner * in my local area.  This morning about 11:00, I was leaving MontaƱa de Oro when a Roadrunner sped across the road.  A few moments later another one.  Fortunately I was going slowly or I could have hit the second one.  It is a rare treat to see one Greater Roadrunner, but two?  Be still my heart.
 Now, on to the usual, but not usual birding  -  Yesterday, Santa Rosa Creek Lagoon, Cambria Ca.  Santa Rosa Creek flows from the hills, through Cambria, eventually forming a charming lagoon on the north side of Shamel Park (above).  The lagoon and the ocean are separated by a berm of fine gravel that has accumulated over time.  As one walks along the lagoon, the ocean is not in view.
 Our first sighting was of a Green Heron. (above)**  The Heron was in plain sight which enabled us to watch it feed and move in and out of the vegetation.  Killdeer were foraging along the edge of the lagoon and a classic Great Blue Heron was perched on a log. 
As we progressed along the gravely beach, a solitary Tern came into view.   Now comes the discussion, is it an Elegant, a Royal, or a Caspian.  Our first thought was, it was a Royal.  We needed to get a closer view to confirm our suspicions. 

When it comes to Bird ID, more input is not only fun but helpful. We got into a lively discussion with a charming woman who had been photographing birds with a 400mm lens.  In my estimation, the humongous lens, meant she was a serious photographer and probably an expert in bird ID.   Eventually we concluded that the Tern (below) was probably, possibly, or may be a Royal.  
In the same area as the Tern were two Spotted Sandpiper and a beautiful and distinctive Bonaparte's Gull in breeding plumage; Bonaparte's Gull (below) is much smaller than a Western Gull.
The special treat of the morning was a fantastic view of five Baird's Sandpiper feeding with gusto along the edge of the lagoon.  They were taking a brief fuel stop on their migratory flight from Alaska to South America.  Although the morning was overcast, fortune shined.  We watched the precious little Baird's Sandpiper*** at our leisure. 
 Sometimes while birding, serendipity happens.  Yesterday morning I was birding with a friend named Mike Baird.

Photos - *    Greater Roadrunner Estrella Park, Phoenix AZ.
             **   Green Heron Tres Rios Wetlands, Phoenix AZ.
            ***  Baird's Sandpiper by Kaaren Perry

1 comment:

  1. Wow such amazing looking bir
    ds. But the Roadrunner , well I looked at the pic before reading and was wondering where did I see this bird before. I know it but not really then after reading I understood where I saw it , on TV all my life hahaha

    ReplyDelete