Saturday, February 11, 2012

BIRDING HERE AND THERE

In the last few days have seen three species of Falcon - Peregrine, Merlin, American Kestrel. This morning spoke with Bob (Peregrine Falcon Expert) at Morro Rock. He said the Falcons are mating several times a day. As I stood looking at the rock looking for a Peregrine, the male, at Mock speed, flew over my head. Bob said the male strafes the gulls which makes them dive under water.

The Merlin was on a Eucalyptus Branch in Sweet Springs, perhaps eying the sandpipers that were feeding in wet sand as the tide receded. It had been several years since I had seen one; I was thrilled to see this little beauty.

The American Kestrel, out smallest Falcon, was perched on a fence post in the open space area of Laguna Lake (photo). I often stop by there on the way to Trader Joe's. The morning was glorious. Horses were quietly grazing on the trail (photo). They did not even look up as I passed. In the vast fields were flocks of Meadowlarks; their white outer tail feathers flashed as they fluttered about the tall grass.
On the way to Trader Joe's, directly after the Costco/Home Depot shopping area is a field which usually has horses or cattle grazing. This morning, as I sped by, I saw what I thought were geese. When traffic allowed, I turned around and pulled off by a private road that goes into the property. Definitely, Snow Goose; they were going down a berm and out of sight. Slowly I edged along the private road to get a closer look as to were they were going, and there, in a depression was a pond with Snow Goose, Canada Goose, and many Northern Shoveler. I felt like I had found the goose that laid the golden egg.
(caution to novice birders - birding while driving can be hazardous to your health)

1 comment:

  1. Nice post and pictures Joyce , I am glad I can view your blog again.

    Grazing is eating ?

    ReplyDelete