Tuesday, October 11, 2011

FALL BIRDING

Fall is our summer season; we have less fog, more sun, and not much wind; perfect conditions for my favorite pastime - birding. On the weekend I ventured into Pecho Marsh (aka, Pecho Willows). To be honest I have been avoiding it, as I can spend hours and not find any of the wonderful little migrant Warblers that everyone else is seeing.

An avid birder with a scope took off on the left trail; I took the right. Not wanting to break my leg (again), I proceed carefully over the vines and fallen limbs. I was looking for a Chestnut-sided Warbler. After an hour of intense peering into the tangle of trees, vines, and Poison Oak, I saw numerous Yellow-rumped Warblers (first of season sighting), several Orange-crowned Warblers (have yet to see an orange crown), Chickadee, but not the Chestnut-sided Warbler. Wanting a change of scenery I checked out the Cypress and a willow thicket down by the bay.

On the way back to my car, the birder who had preceded me into the willows, was coming out. He asked me if I had seen anything interesting. "Nothing special," I said. He said he had seen the Chestnut-sided Warbler (3 had been sighted the day before), and told me where to find them. I took the trail to the left, walked in about 50 feet and there were two flitting about. My very first sighting of the Chestnut-sided Warbler - Yeah!

Checked out the Audubon Overlook earlier in the day - Western Sandpiper, Greater Yellow-leg, Black-bellied Plover, Long-billed Curlew, Dowitcher, Marsh Wren and Bewick's Wren. (photo - Black-bellied Plover, center; Greater Yellowleg) A word of caution - In the last two weeks I have experienced two wasp stings, one on the earlobe (not fun), the other on a knuckle. So, watch your step when you are out and about.

1 comment:

  1. Happy you saw the Walbler bird at the end Joyce ,Stay safe !

    ReplyDelete