Friday, August 12, 2011

PISMO CREEK

For over a week a Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) has been seen along Pismo Creek. The creek meanders south (photo), veers west (right) and empties into the ocean. As I meandered along the creek I spotted, in the dim distance, an Egret. Anyway, I thought it was an Egret. After a thorough examination, I came to the conclusion it was a Juvenile Great Blue Heron. Other birds were, Caspian Tern, scads of Mallards, numerous Pied-billed Grebe, the occasional Double-crested Cormorant, and a handsome Turkey Vulture dining on Heermann's Gull. (photo)

I had a feeling that I was going to see this little darling. The Reddish Egret, though a different species, resembles the G.B. Heron, particularly at a distance, and on a very gray day, and particularly to a fledgling birder, such as myself.

On my return trip, I studied the edges of the creek. Finally spotted the Reddish Egret across the creek, directly below an R.V. Park. This time of year they are more grayish than reddish. (photo - pardon the poor quality). He preened for awhile which allowed me an excellent look. Now the Reddish Egret is engraved in my birding memory bank.

No Starbucks around, so went to Trader Joe's for a miniature cup of free coffee. My next challenge will be the Pectoral Sandpiper.





No comments:

Post a Comment