Tuesday, February 1, 2011

CALIFORNIA THRASHER REVISITED

Yesterday had a rewarding experience at Montana de Oro. I walked the road from the Ranch House to the Coon Creek Trail Head. Weather, nearly perfect, just a bit of a breeze, very few cars. Spotted Towhee, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Wrentit, American Kestrel, and Norther Flicker were active. The only non singer was the Gnatcatcher. ( I must say, I have never seen one catch a Gnat.) My purpose this morning was to get up and personal with a Thrasher.

About a mile along the road I came to three Thrashers. I briefly played a Thrasher Song on my marvelous little iPod. All three reacted. The one in the photo was not to be outdone (photo). Below is a link to the flickr page where the Thrasher Song can be heard. It is interesting to compare the two songs, just scroll down the page to the first video.

Song of the California Thrasher #2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment