Saturday, November 13, 2010

Drove north on Hwy 1 to Pacific Grove. Feeding along the creek at San Simeon State Park, were 8 Dowitchers. Were they Long-billed or Short-billed Dowitchers? The long-billed variety is more likely to be seen near fresh water than the short-billed, so perhaps they were Long-billed Dowitcher and then again, perhaps not. I do enjoy the conundrums of birding. A male Kingfisher was diving for his breakfast (at least I had no trouble identifying him).

Point Lobos State Park - Windy, clear, and beautiful. Many Cormorants, Pelicans, Sea Lions, numerous Yellow-rumped Warbler and a few White-crowned Sp. Did not see any shore birds. The swells were large and crashing against the rocks.

Pacific Grove - (photo) There is an excellent path that winds along the entire coast of Pacific Beach. (every other person in Pacific Grove, regardless of age, jogs) The waves had deposited large piles of kelp on the rocks. Feasting on kelp flies were flocks of Black Turnstone. There are nearly the same color as the wet kelp and when not moving can be difficult to see. Joining in on the yummy feast were numerous Yellow-rumped Warbler (my those little guys get around) and Black Phoebe.

Came across a birder with a scope. He showed me my very first view of a Northern Fulmer (exciting). They were flying by and bobbing in the swells.

Asilomar State Beach - On the rocks were Black Turnstone, Surfbird, Willet, Sanderling, and Whimbrel. Two of the Whimbrel had sky blue legs which I found rather unusual. On the way back home I thought I saw a Reddish Egret in a small pond near Abandoned Motel State Park. By the time I was able to turn around and take another look, it was gone. I have to work on my, birding while driving, skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment